Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Apple and Radish Salad



The apples from the SLO Farm stand at the Fairmount Neighborhood Farmers Market were so tempting that my son couldn't keep his hands out of the picture. The farm had two varieties on sale. The ones on the right are Red Gravensteins. Biting into one immediately brought back for me childhood memories of New England autumns. These apples are tart and firm, and would be good for baking. The ones on the left are a Japanese variety called Akanes, and were new to me. They are very crisp and juicy and quite sweet. Their rosy crunch reminded me of the sensation of biting into a radish, but with an explosion of sweetness rather than sharpness, and it occurred to me that the two might pair well together in a salad. Since I'd also purchased some delicate radishes at the SLO Farm stand as well, I was all set to try out this idea. I mixed up a mustardy dressing which I tossed with lettuce, topped this with diced apples and sliced radishes, and some sliced carrots for extra color and crunch, and sprinkled on some dried pomegranate seeds (which I'd picked up at Trader Joe's, but dried cranberries or raisins would work as well). It was a refreshing and fun salad.




Apple and Radish Salad


dressing
1 tsp mustard
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


salad
half a head of lettuce, rinsed and torn into small pieces
1 Akane apple, cored and chopped
2 carrots, sliced
~6 radishes, sliced
handful of dried pomegranate seeds or other dried fruit


Toss the lettuce with the dressing.  Add remaining ingredients and toss again.

No comments: