Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bundles of Beets


I am a huge fan of beets. More so than the other members of my family, but they put up with my beet enthusiasm. I especially like the combination of sweet beets with spicy ginger. And I can't resist a very fresh bunch of beets with beautiful green tops, which are delicious in their own right. Lonesome Whistle Farm had some lovely beets for sale this week.


We were planning to grill that evening, so I decided to roast sliced beets and ginger with cauliflower in foil packets on the grill. My daughter enjoyed putting together these bundles.


I reserved the beet greens, 


which I sauteed up with plenty of garlic. These made delicious accompaniments to an Indian summer meal of grilled flank steak and corn.


Grilled Beet Bundles

1 bunch beets
1 small head cauliflower
2 inches ginger root
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Peel and slice beets. Chop cauliflower into florets. Peel and mince ginger. Stir well with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and divide between 6 sheets of foil. Seal foil into packets and cook on the grill until the beets are soft and the cauliflower has started to brown.

No comments: