Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sundry Uses for Easter Eggs


Here are the Easter eggs we colored with natural dyes. I think my favorites are the sauerkraut speckled ones on the right, but I also like the beet and turmeric one in front with flower petal patterns. If you are looking for inspiration for using up hard boiled eggs,


try a salad with these lentils on sauteed greens with ham,



or use them as garnish for this Moroccan beef and chickpea stew,



or enjoy a perfect egg salad sandwich with arugula and a sprinkle of dukkah, a nutty Egyptian spice mix. 


Egg Salad Sandwich
makes 2 modest or 1 heaping sandwich

2 hardboiled eggs
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of dukkah
good sandwich bread, lightly toasted
arugula leaves

In a wide bowl, combine the mayonnaise and mustard. Peel the eggs, season with salt and pepper, and mash them into the mayonnaise mixture with an potato masher or fork, until there are just small pieces of egg white. Spread the egg salad on a toasted piece of bread, top with a generous sprinkle of dukkah, plenty of arugula leaves, and a second piece of toasted bread, and enjoy.

Note about dukkah: I was inspired to try it on egg salad by this recipe from AntoniaJames of food52. She provides a recipe for dukkah, as does Heide Swanson of 101 Cookbooks. I picked some up at Trader Joe's, but I think I'll try making some of my own next with less fennel.

No comments: